04 May 2010

Study as Worship

I live in a weird tension right now.  I have always love to read, ever since I was a young lad.  Anything, really.  Dinosaurs, adventure stories, moving into pop culture magazines and Jesus books as I grew up.  I still love to read; however, as a student, the reading has taken on a serious and fairly mentally taxing nature.  It sounds as though I am complaining -- indeed, it can be tough, but in all honesty the chance to pursue a Masters of Divinity and to be challenged to read such inspiring and stretching things is a blessing beyond compare.  One effect I have noticed, however, is that I do not 'want' to read as much in my free time.  Could be that I know Guy Fieri is waiting on channel 110; deeper than that, though, is the fact that being assigned to read the volume grad school requires has taken a bit of the fun out of reading Jesus-oriented stuff in this season.  As a result, I have neglected that aspect of my spiritual life.  Last week, our professor dropped this big of knowledge -- to the Jewish people of Jesus' day, intense, in-depth study of the Scriptures and all things theology was worship -- there was not much difference between scholarship and devotional reading, as spending quality time expanding the mind with Godly stuff did a great work in their hearts as well.  Hmmmmm...seems as though I knew this, but by golly, it was awfully good to be reminded of it.  

No comments: